Wednesday, November 6, 2013

short story chapter 3: I won't tell your little secret, sweet Emily

I get home to find my mother waiting up for me in her silk night gown and a cup of tea. The look on her face is of hopeful relief. Relief that I have returned and hopeful that I haven't done anything foolish. I've only been gone less than twelve hours, after all.

"Where have you been my sweet girl?" Acting like everything is perfectly fine is an art my mother has mastered over the years, but I can read every line on her face.

"I went into the city to see Jules. I needed to talk to a real friend," I lie unable to look into my mother's eyes.

Jules is a party girl I grew to love over the course of my years at NYU. My parents didn't approve of her since she was a free spirit, unsettled young wild thing. She didn't come from a good family nor did she have any desire to find a good man anytime soon. Flying through life day by day working at Quips Pub was good enough for her. 

When I first got engaged, I thought of Jules as my maid of honor, but there was no way my parents would allow that. And Jules would never have agreed anyway. Her loyalty would stay with jack. Jules always said we belonged together. No...she would never stand by my side as I marry another man. 'A sham of a marriage' she would call it. 

Mother knows that Jules means I am in trouble. She wants to believe I was there just to simply see an old friend, but she knows there is more to the story. I can bet she already assumes I saw Jack.

I never breathed a word of my feelings for Jack to anyone outside of our crew, but my mother could see young love from a mile away. From the moment I introduced Jack to my mother two days before graduation, her guard was up.

I remember the fierce way she grabbed my arm, pulled me aside and demanded, "You will never see that young man again, do you understand?"

I stood speechless - frozen in time. 

Why? Why would my mother demand such a thing? I didn't know until the day I was called into my father's office. I was set up by my own parents. I was not to decide for myself who I could love. Clearly, Mother knew that I loved Jack and he loved me. A respectable girl like myself could never marry a Lower East Side journalist's son.

"Sweetheart, if you need some good ol' gal time, why not talk to Annabelle? After all, she will soon be your sister-in-law," Mother says trying to calmly fix the situation. I know she doesn't want to ruffle any feathers this close to the wedding.

"Annabelle?" I ask and finally look straight into my mother's eyes. "Annabelle barely speaks to me. She doesn't know me!" I'm starting to get irritated and flushed in the face.

"Emily, calm down. Let's talk in the morning. I'll bring you up some tea to bed."

****

I fight to open my eyes. Jack might have been upset even in my dream, but at least there, I am with him. 

I'm startled and squeal at the sight of Annabelle at the foot of my bed.

"Your mother called," she says with zero expression. "How are you feeling after yesterday's little adventure?"

"What?" I'm confused. What has mother told her?

"Your mother didn't say a word. She didn't have to." The smirk forming on Annabelle's face makes my stomach turn. "I followed you into the city. I was bored."

Annabelle Pryor. Twenty-seven, widowed, and silent...until now. "I won't tell your little secret, sweet Emily, if you can help me with one of mine."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages